Make a difference in the lives of women and children in Tajikistan - no amount is too small!

Monday, February 1, 2010

Rehabilitation and Training Centre for Children with Disabilities


My role as a VSO volunteer is to share social work skills regarding children and families with disabilities. I live and work at the Nur Centre for Children with Disabilities which is on the hospital compound. This is great news because it means I am guaranteed electricity 99% of the time!! This translates into heat, hot water and the ability to cook. Being on the hospital ground also means security; although, the centre has a guard on 24/7. There are 22 staff, 22 children attend the centre during the day, 20 children are seen in their homes because they can’t get to the centre, and 40 parents and children come to the centre for consultation. This is the first and only centre for children with disabilities in the Pamirs. I am very proud to be a part of the team and equally excited about bringing awareness of disability issues and child’s rights to Tajikistan.

2 comments:

  1. Hi Lisa! I found your blog when I was looking for some information on social work in Tajikistan. I am a researcher working in London, and I would love to speak to you if it is at all possible (skype probably?). I am writing on a number of child protection related issues in Tajikistan, and I am sure you have a lot of interesting information and insights to share. Please let me know if you are interested.
    Thank you!
    Teona

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is really worth to have international volunteering in Tajikistan, I've been missing the place. I still reminisce the things I had imparted with children with disabilities. shitifujon.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete